At Qualia, we’ve built a new class of real estate technology that simplifies home buying and selling into an easy, understandable, and secure process. Our products bring together users from across the real estate ecosystem—homebuyers and sellers, lenders, title and escrow agents, and real estate agents—onto a single shared platform, providing greater clarity and transparency to real estate transactions. Today, millions of consumers use Qualia to close on homes every year.
We are hiring an entrepreneurial Engineering Manager interested in being a part of our rapidly growing engineering team. Our engineers are conscientious hackers who like teamwork but are also comfortable with independent projects. Our engineering team releases new software every week, moves at a fast pace, and works directly with our design and customer-facing teams to imagine and build the new experiences our customers love. Because of that, you’ll get a rewarding variety of projects to work on.
As an Engineering Manager, you've been in the industry for a while and have a proven track record of success. You are comfortable leading complex, high-liability projects. You have experience making key architectural decisions and performing the research to back up those decisions. You've dealt with the consequences of your mistakes, and you know how to fight fires if necessary. You enjoy mentoring and providing support. You've thrived in different environments and realize that each team is unique.
YOUR DAY TO DAY
* You will lead one of our core engineering teams which is key to Qualia’s continued growth
YOUR BACKGROUND THAT LIKELY MAKES YOU A MATCH
* 3-5 years of experience as a full-stack engineer on a customer-facing product, 2+ years leading an engineering team for a product that has significant impact on the company’s growth
* Strong hands-on technical leadership, people management, project management and communication skills
* Keen product sense, attention to detail, and passion for the impact of the software you build
* Background in enterprise software and fintech preferred
THE TECH STACK YOU'LL USE
* Semantic UI
* Microservice architecture / Kubernetes
* Our flat company structure empowers engineers to make product decisions
* We have a collaborative culture where engineers mentor each other
* Our sunny office is centrally located in downtown San Francisco, easily commutable from anywhere in the Bay Area
* We offer generous compensation and benefits packages including medical, vision, and dental insurance and a flexible PTO policy
ABOUT OUR ENGINEERING TEAM
* Our engineering team demonstrates and values technical thought leadership.
* Qualia’s Head of Design, Jack Lukic, is the creator of Semantic UI, one of the most popular open-source design frameworks. Qualia engineers learn this framework, and design patterns more generally, directly from the creator of the framework our front end is built on! Very few companies can say that.
* As part of our focus on continual learning and development, a Qualia team member gives an educational talk on something they’re interested in every Thursday to the entire engineering and product team. Topics range from Kolmogorov complexity theory to the definition of art, to models of existential risk.
We celebrate diversity at Qualia. We are committed to ensuring an environment of mutual respect for every employee and we are proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. Qualia does not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, gender, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We believe a diverse and inclusive workplace is central to our success and we actively seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.
Qualia is a new class of real estate technology that makes buying and selling a home a quick, easy, and understandable process. Over half a million real estate professionals use Qualia to power their real estate closings, and we currently process transactions for millions of consumers every year. Our suite of products brings together homebuyers and sellers, lenders, title and escrow agents, and real estate agents onto a single shared platform, simplifying how homes are bought and sold. We believe real estate is an engine of economic growth in the United States, and that technology is the key to building healthy homeownership. Through our software, we work on improving how real estate is transacted in order to ensure a more understandable, secure, seamless home buying experience for all.
The engineering team is grouped into small sub-teams of 4-8 engineers, with an engineering lead and a product manager. Each sub-team is responsible for either an entire product or a large portion of a product. Our engineering team operates on a 2-week release cycle. Features are specced by the engineers collaborating with a product manager and the customer success team. At the end of each release cycle, code is reviewed and QA’ed. The new release is then gradually rolled out to customers over several weeks.
Qualia engineers enjoy quarterly hackathons, monthly team outings, and complete autonomy and ownership over their work.
Every Thursday, someone from Qualia presents a topic to the team that they are extremely interested in. Examples of previous topics include: algorithmic informations theory, music and rhythm, problem solving heuristics, and the many linguistic nuances of different Chinese Dialects.